Member since 03 Aug 2015
Total posts 11
1) I am new to flying business class and collecting frequent flyer points;
2) I accrue points to the Qantas Frequent flyer program (Bronze) and travel between SYD and asia for leisure, but will increase my trips to north America and Europe in the future;
3) I booked a business class flight from NAN to LAX with an Alaskan Airlines booking reference number with an Air New Zealand Flight number but flying on Fiji Airways metal (I didn't even know this was possible);
4) I did some research and discovered although Alaskan Airlines is a partner airline of Qantas, I will not receive any points for this booking, see:
"Qantas Points are earned on all eligible booking classes, except Alaska Airlines codeshare flights operated by an airline other than Qantas"
5) I logged in the Alaskan Airlines website but could not pre-book my seat for the flight.
a) just wondering if any experienced members could kindly confirm my understanding of point 3) above is correct;
b) if it would be better to accrue points to the Alaskan Airline frequent flyer program or the Air New Zealand program; and
c) do I need to contact Fiji Airways for my ticket number to pre book my seat?
Thanking you for your time and wisdom in advance. Any tips or suggestions would be greatly appreciated.
Member since 17 Nov 2016
Total posts 15
a) If you have booked via Alaska Airlines, their system will give you a booking reference for their booking. The NZ flight will have it's own reference as part of this booking. It will not be the same as AS as they use different reservation systems.
b) You would have to check the T&C's on AS to see if you accrue points on an NZ flight operated by FJ. You should get points for Airpoints as it's an NZ flight number
c) As the flight is codeshare, NZ probably won't be able to allocate a seat. You can speak to NZ and see if there is an FJ booking reference. FJ may be able to allocate a seat but as codeshare, they may not.
Hi Guest, join in the discussion on
Alaskan Airlines booking reference with Air New Zealand Flight number but Fiji Airways metal
Already have an ET account? Log in below.
Signing up with Executive Traveller only takes a second and lets you
interact with our community. It's completely free and we'll never pass your information on to
Didn’t receive an activation email? Resend one to yourself here.
If you’ve forgotten your password, simply enter your email address
below, then click 'Submit'. We’ll send you an email to re-activate your account and enter a new password.
If you have not received the activation email, simply enter your email address below, then click 'Submit'. We’ll send you an email containing the activation link.
Subscribe to our free newsletter and get the latest news, reviews, tips and more sent straight to your inbox