My Qantas Frequent Flyer statement says I'm on the way to Lifetime Silver status – but is that a goal worth chasing and a card worth having?
Any frequent flyer status is better than none, especially if it's earned through your usual travel habits... but we'd have to honestly say that Qantas Lifetime Silver status doesn't really give you much to crow about.
As a refresher, you'll need to clock up a total of 7,000 status credits over the life of your Qantas Frequent Flyer membership to pocket a Silver card that's good for the rest of your life.
The benefits of Qantas Silver status are mainly useful if you'll be flying economy class most of the time, and include
- earning 50% more Qantas Points on top of what you'd usually get on a Qantas or Jetstar flight
- free seat selection on international Qantas flights
- one free Qantas lounge pass per year, which is good for domestic Qantas Club lounges or international Qantas business class lounges
- use of the business class check-in counter on international flights
- more generous checked luggage allowance: pack an extra 12kg or bring one extra bag compared to the standard allowance in international economy and premium economy, depending on your destination.
As we said, that's clearly better than having no status.
But for most Qantas travellers, Lifetime Silver status is more of a halfway marker on the road to Lifetime Gold status, which is really the sweet spot for a lifetime of welcome perks.
Read more: How to get Qantas Lifetime Gold status
Follow Australian Business Traveller on Twitter: we're @AusBT