Singapore Airlines returns Airbus A380 to Melbourne flights
Singapore Airlines is returning the popular Airbus A380 superjumbo to its Melbourne flights from late March, bringing better seats, a quieter ride and a more comfortable cabin for business travellers.
"The A380 aircraft will service the Singapore-Melbourne SQ227/SQ228 route from 25 March 2012", a Singpaore Airlines spokesperson confirmed to Australian Business Traveller (26 March will be the first Melbourne-Singapore A380 leg).
The A380 will still be absent from Melbourne-Singapore flights between 16 January and 25 March. If you're flying from Melbourne during that period, we've previously outlined the changes, which mean a much less comfortable ride for some passengers.
When the A380 returns in March, however, it won't be on exactly the same flights as previously. Here's how the post-March schedule breaks down for Melbourne-Singapore:
- SQ218 leaves Melbourne at 0005, arriving in Singapore at 0555, using a Boeing 777-300ER
- SQ238 leaves Melbourne at 1000, arriving in Singapore at 1550, using a Boeing 777-300
- SQ228 leaves Melbourne at 1545, arriving in Singapore at 2135, using an Airbus A380
For Singapore-Melbourne flights:
- SQ237 leaves Singapore at 0045, arriving in Melbourne at 1005, using a Boeing 777-300
- SQ217 leaves Singapore at 0955, arriving in Melbourne at 1915, using a Boeing 777-300ER
- SQ227 leaves Singapore at 2100, arriving in Singapore at 0620 the next day, using an Airbus A380.
Picking the most comfortable flights
If your schedule is flexible enough to pick any of the flights, we recommend the A380: its cabin is quieter, with air that's less dry, and it has the very latest fully flat bed with direct aisle access for everyone in business class.
The Boeing 777-300ER is second best, with the fully flat bed but without the A380's quieter, more comfortable cabin.
We'd try to avoid the Boeing 777-300: its regional business class gives markedly less space and privacy.
We've also got detailed recommendations for the best seats to pick on all three Singapore Airlines planes -- so make sure you select the best spot on your flight.
Hi Guest, join in the discussion on Singapore Airlines returns Airbus A380 to Melbourne flights