100,000 Bonus Qantas Points - ANZ Frequent Flyer Black
100,000 bonus Qantas Points and $200 back to your new card. Minimum spend. T&Cs apply. Click here. Click here to apply.
Update: we now have the new Virgin Australia logo to go with the Virgin Australia brand.
Previous: In the clearest sign yet of Virgin Blue's new 'Virgin Australia' brand the airline has taken ownership of the virginaustralia.com.au Internet name.
That name, along with Virgin Pacific, is registered to the London-based trademark umbrella group Virgin Enterprises, which owns and 'leases' over 2000 Virgin trademarks around the world.
Over the weekend FlightGlobal's Will Horton revealed that Virgin Enterprises won the rights to the Virgin Australia name previously held by a Melbourne-based company named Virgin Australia Pty Ltd, which rather oddly sold bookmarks (the kind you use in printed books, not websites).
Horton also notes that "the previous owner of the Virgin Australia Twitter account has been suspended, paving the way for the carrier to acquire it."
Virgin Blue CEO John Borghetti has said the airline's new brand will be launched before the end of June, but with a raft of changes already in place sources are now tipping the new 'Virgin Australia' brand to be revealed next month.
(For what it's worth, the VirginSky.com.au address is held by Mr Santino Di Bella, who previously had a run-in with the Branson empire over his plan to sell Virgin International condoms bearing a stylised 'V' logo through vending machines in pubs and clubs. Branson's legal eagles won that stoush, too.)
Coverage of Virgin Blue's overhaul
Australian Business Traveller's comprehensive and continuing coverage of 'the new Blue' also includes:
- the launch of Sydney-Perth services on May 26
- new business class seats with 62 inches of legroom and seat-back video screens
- a sneak peak at Virgin Blue's new 'luxury leather' economy seats
- an extensive overhaul for Velocity Rewards, including a points tie-up with Coles' FlyBuys programme
- Virgin Blue's new fast-track Sydney Airport lounge, plus upgrades for Melbourne and Brisbane lounges and new lounges at three other Australian airports
- stylish new uniforms for Virgin Blue flight attendants and crew which play up the airline’s palette of red, silver and purple
- Aussie masterchef Luke Mangan's promise to create inflight meals "that travellers actually want to buy
Virgin Blue gets 'Virgin Australia' name
Boeing 777X delay hits new business class debuts for Lufthansa, Cathay
Singapore Airlines first class gains new Champagne and caviar service
Singapore's flying taxi trials showcase the 'urban mobility' future
Aperitifs are set to be this summer's ultimate tipple