“What’s on the latest menu at the Qantas first class lounge?”
It’s a surprisingly common question of top-tier frequent flyers who begin their journey from the Qantas International First Lounges at Sydney and Melbourne.
After all, the airline’s approach to seasonal menus means a raft of new dishes is there to be enjoyed every four months, although many favourites remain too.
Being able to begin your international flight on Qantas, Jetstar, Emirates or other partner airlines – particularly Oneworld members such as Cathay Pacific, JAL, Malaysia Airline and Qatar Airways – at these first class lounges is one of the key benefits of holding Platinum or Platinum One status with Qantas.
(And again, that same perk is enjoyed by Emirates Platinum and Oneworld Emerald frequent flyers.)
Executive Traveller has previously taken you behind the scenes of how these menus are developed, including the Winter 2023 and Summer 2022 menus, so let’s just dive into the latest Spring 2023 dishes now being served at the Qantas First Lounges in Sydney and Melbourne.
These are in addition to the special ‘secret’ menu reserved for actual first class passengers, along with Platinum One frequent flyers and Chairman’s Lounge members, who are seated in the roped-off ‘premium’ dining area.
At the end of this article you’ll find links to PDF copies of the Qantas First Lounge Spring 2023 menus to download and peruse before your next trip. You’re welcome.
Breakfast: served from 5am to 11am
As is the norm, the Qantas First Lounge’s breakfast menu is more about seasonal tweaks to a handful of dishes.
A case in point are the ever-popular buttermilk pancakes, which are now served with rhubarb and orange (compared to winter’s combo of pears and hazelnuts) plus ricotta and ‘Qantas honey’, which comes from beehives at the airline’s Mascot headquarters.
On the healthier side is a salad of kale, quinoa and mint with walnuts, tahini yoghurt and a poached egg (this is also available in a pared-back ‘plant based dining’ version).
A crisp peach and lemon myrtle bellini joins the Bloody Mary on the morning cocktail menu.
All day dining: served from 11am onwards
The ‘all day dining’ menu is where the biggest changes swing from one season to the next.
Rest assured that signatures such as the salt and pepper squid, club sandwich, cheeseburger and that oh-so-Instagrammable ‘pavlova in a glass’ remain on deck.
That said, some of the highlights of the Spring 2023 all day dining menu include
- Balinese-style duck salad with beansprouts, chilli, coconut and lime leaf
- Steamed snapper with rice noodles, fragrant coriander broth and nam prik
- Lamb shoulder with fennel, potatoes, oregano and honeyed olives
- 8-hour soy braised beef brisket with ginger and spring onions
- Profiteroles with vanilla ice cream and chocolate sauce
- Fresh ginger cake with rhubarb, strawberries and burnt orange cream
New wines and cocktails
We should also draw attention to the many new wines and cocktails being served at the Qantas First Lounges.
The entire white wine selection has been overhauled, with some notable Adelaide Hills callouts such as
- Grant Burge Pinot Gris 2023
- Petaluma Sauvignon Blanc 2022
- Penfolds Max’s Chardonnay 2022
There are also three new reds:
- Levantine Hill Pinot Noir 2019 (Yarra Valley, Victoria)
- Penfolds Max’s Cabernet Sauvignon 2020 (Adelaide Hills, South Australia)
- Lambrook Shiraz 2022 (Adelaide Hills, South Australia)
If a light cocktail is more your style, try one (or two) of these:
- Watermelon Paloma – tequila, watermelon, ruby grapefruit soda, basil
- Ruby Cider – white rum, cranberry, apple cider, grenadine
- Garden Spritz – gin, elderflower, basil, cucumber, soda
- Low and slow – Brookie’s slow, Davidson plum, tonic, strawberry
Champagne is no longer listed separately on the Qantas First Lounge menu, as the airline appears to be rotating its selection within each season, but on our recent visits the bubbles have included Ayala, Lallier, Piper-Hiedsieck, Pommery and Jacquart.
You can download the Qantas First Lounge Spring 2023 menus using the links below:
- Download the Qantas First Lounge Spring 2023 Breakfast menu
- Download the Qantas First Lounge Spring 2023 All Day Dining menu