Welcome to Country?!

73 replies

russell

Qantas - Qantas Frequent Flyer

Member since 04 Nov 2011

Total posts 217

Still don’t get why I need to be welcomed to my own country…

regular flyer

Member since 13 May 2020

Total posts 29

Originally Posted by russell

Originally Posted by xtfer

An Acknowledgement of Country isn’t going to hurt anyone.

The real virtue signalling is signalling your lack of virtues by publicly objecting to such an inoffensive and positive move.

Just because it’s not going to hurt you, doesn’t make it necessary.

so sick of these racist nonscense. We are all Australians. Black OZ flag is extremely racist. Imagine if starting flying the white OZ flag ?

Ian_from_HKG

CX

Member since 05 Jun 2012

Total posts 61

Originally Posted by russell

Still don’t get why I need to be welcomed to my own country…


Maybe not. On the same note, perhaps the use of doormats saying "welcome" should be banned?

I don't find anything offensive about being welcomed *anywhere*, even my own home.

Silverwings

Qantas - Qantas Frequent Flyer

Member since 29 May 2020

Total posts 6

I've heard the "acknowledgement to country" PA on all my Jetstar flights since June as well.

Frank

Qantas - Qantas Frequent Flyer

Member since 09 Sep 2013

Total posts 105

'You are explicitly complaining about indigenous place names being used in a way which is inclusive and does not harm you in any way. You are demonstrating prejudice based on the ethnic and cultural origin of these names. It’s textbook racism'.

What I dislike, is others telling me that I have to accept something they like 'because it won't hurt me'. Lots of things in life 'won't hurt me', and I have the right to ignore them. My choice. Xtfer, on reflection, I recalled that one of my favourite t-shirts is from the University of Notre Dame(Broome), and it has a great indigenous art logo on the front; I have 2 water bottles that I carry in my golf bag twice a week, which are covered in indigenous art; and the name tag on my carry-on bag is the same. I have owned all of them for the best part of 20 years. If I was the raving, rabid, racist that you state I am, I suggest I would not own any of them. So I reject your opinion that I am a 'textbook racist' as completely wrong. Finally, I believe that those that insist that the rest of us have to comply with their ideas, are called 'bigots'.

Silverwings

Qantas - Qantas Frequent Flyer

Member since 29 May 2020

Total posts 6

Originally Posted by Frank

Perth Airport is following suit:


'Boarding gates at domestic terminals will show the commonly used name of the destination and the name used by the traditional custodians.

The screens will rotate between the commonly used place name and the Indigenous name.

A flight to Adelaide will be displayed as Adelaide/Kaurna Country and flights to Newman will be Newman/Nyiyaparli Country.'

When will it all end?...


I think it is great we are starting to embrace this country's rich culture over the imported US/UK culture.

Silverwings

Qantas - Qantas Frequent Flyer

Member since 29 May 2020

Total posts 6

Originally Posted by russell

Still don’t get why I need to be welcomed to my own country…

It's not a welcome it's an acknowledgement. Important to understand the difference.

https://www.indigenous.gov.au/contact-us/welcome_acknowledgement-country

xtfer

Virgin Australia - Velocity Rewards

Member since 14 Mar 2017

Total posts 158

Originally Posted by Frank

'You are explicitly complaining about indigenous place names being used in a way which is inclusive and does not harm you in any way. You are demonstrating prejudice based on the ethnic and cultural origin of these names. It’s textbook racism'.

What I dislike, is others telling me that I have to accept something they like 'because it won't hurt me'. Lots of things in life 'won't hurt me', and I have the right to ignore them. My choice. Xtfer, on reflection, I recalled that one of my favourite t-shirts is from the University of Notre Dame(Broome), and it has a great indigenous art logo on the front; I have 2 water bottles that I carry in my golf bag twice a week, which are covered in indigenous art; and the name tag on my carry-on bag is the same. I have owned all of them for the best part of 20 years. If I was the raving, rabid, racist that you state I am, I suggest I would not own any of them. So I reject your opinion that I am a 'textbook racist' as completely wrong. Finally, I believe that those that insist that the rest of us have to comply with their ideas, are called 'bigots'.

You have the right to ignore it, but if you go complaining about it in a public forum, expect to be labeled a bigot. Freedom of opinion is not freedom from consequences.



Scepticalflyer

Qantas - Qantas Frequent Flyer

Member since 30 Aug 2017

Total posts 14

What woke rubbish and perpetuation of propaganda that only those who identify as indigenous (no matter how tenuous the link may be) have a connection to "country".

More fitting would be an acknowledgement of the early explorers / captains who were pivotal in pioneering making Australia the way it is today and the best country on earth.

The announcements pander to a woke movement that is becoming increasingly popular to the inner city latte sippers. It might be beneficial for some of these woke folk to go and spend some time in places like Palm Island, Hermannsburg, Harts Range or even Alice Springs - I doubt the people in these communities are extending a warm welcome to to a bunch of entitled, woke, latte sipping holiday makers.


ja90ck

Member since 30 Aug 2019

Total posts 17

Originally Posted by Scepticalflyer

What woke rubbish and perpetuation of propaganda that only those who identify as indigenous (no matter how tenuous the link may be) have a connection to "country".

More fitting would be an acknowledgement of the early explorers / captains who were pivotal in pioneering making Australia the way it is today and the best country on earth.

The announcements pander to a woke movement that is becoming increasingly popular to the inner city latte sippers. It might be beneficial for some of these woke folk to go and spend some time in places like Palm Island, Hermannsburg, Harts Range or even Alice Springs - I doubt the people in these communities are extending a warm welcome to to a bunch of entitled, woke, latte sipping holiday makers.


Yeah, an acknowledgement of Captain Cook would be fare more 'fitting' than acknowledging one of the oldest cultures on earth, and the traditional owners of the land we call home. What a ridiculous suggestion.


Just because you find something unnecessary, doesn't make it woke. It's a bloody sentence, at the start of a flight. Hardly worthy of all the complaining on here.


Reading some of the comments on this thread really highlights what is wrong with the older generation of Australians. I truly cannot wait for the day that this 'boomer' mentality ends and the new generation of forward thinking and accepting Australians are running this place.


Kudos to Qantas.

russell

Qantas - Qantas Frequent Flyer

Member since 04 Nov 2011

Total posts 217

I look forward to the day when Qantas isn’t run by someone who aligns the company with his personal views in order to pander to the whinging minority.

Silverwings

Qantas - Qantas Frequent Flyer

Member since 29 May 2020

Total posts 6

Originally Posted by Scepticalflyer

What woke rubbish and perpetuation of propaganda that only those who identify as indigenous (no matter how tenuous the link may be) have a connection to "country".

More fitting would be an acknowledgement of the early explorers / captains who were pivotal in pioneering making Australia the way it is today and the best country on earth.

The announcements pander to a woke movement that is becoming increasingly popular to the inner city latte sippers. It might be beneficial for some of these woke folk to go and spend some time in places like Palm Island, Hermannsburg, Harts Range or even Alice Springs - I doubt the people in these communities are extending a warm welcome to to a bunch of entitled, woke, latte sipping holiday makers.


Who drinks lattes these days LOL

Silverwings

Qantas - Qantas Frequent Flyer

Member since 29 May 2020

Total posts 6

Originally Posted by russell

Still don’t get why I need to be welcomed to my own country…

It's not a welcome - it's an acknowledgement - big difference.

Silverwings

Qantas - Qantas Frequent Flyer

Member since 29 May 2020

Total posts 6

Originally Posted by russell

Still don’t get why I need to be welcomed to my own country…

It's not a welcome - it's an acknowledgement - big difference.

ja90ck

Member since 30 Aug 2019

Total posts 17

Originally Posted by russell

I look forward to the day when Qantas isn’t run by someone who aligns the company with his personal views in order to pander to the whinging minority.

Define whinging minority?

The LGBTQI community? Aboriginal Australians?

I think you'll find most large corporations in Australia offer some sort of public support to those communities, not just Qantas. Publicly supporting a minority group isn't 'pandering', like asking for equal treatment isn't whinging.

Hi Guest, join in the discussion on Welcome to Country?!

Attach Files