Newbie question on Qantas Classic Flight Reward availability during school holidays

10 replies

uhp7

Member since 10 Nov 2017

Total posts 5

Hi All

Is it common for Qantas to not release Classic Flight rewards during school holiday periods? I've been monitoring September 2022 school holidays for Qantas Classic Flight Reward availability (Economy) but nothing has shown up yet. Am I wasting my time? Do Qantas ever release rewards in the school holiday weeks?


Thanks!

vhojm

Qantas - Qantas Frequent Flyer

Member since 25 Oct 2019

Total posts 29

@uhp7, it does depend on your status. If you are willing to share your status I can give you a more detailed answer. But basically, the higher you are the more you will see.

Also, there was an article saying that 4 billion points have been spent on flights. Qantas did release plenty of award seats for the next year but they were snapped up quite quickly. In general it is more difficult to get seats in holiday periods.

Last editedby vhojm at Nov 04, 2021, 01:07 PM.

patrickk

Qantas

Member since 19 Apr 2012

Total posts 639

There is also the issue that it is a long way out. A lot more will be released from about two to three months out after they see how bookings are going.

vhojm

Qantas - Qantas Frequent Flyer

Member since 25 Oct 2019

Total posts 29

Originally Posted by patrickk

There is also the issue that it is a long way out. A lot more will be released from about two to three months out after they see how bookings are going.

This is completely incorrect with Qantas. Some airlines, like Lufthansa release there first class awards a couple weeks out. Qantas just does not. You get on 353 days before departure and thats the best chance you'll have. In a normal time you would never find an award seat to LAX, LHR, DFW, JFK close to departure date. The only time I've had released is calling Platinum One two days before a flight to get home for family reasons and they released one on QF10 in Business.


uhp7

Member since 10 Nov 2017

Total posts 5

Thank you for the quick replies! I am only Silver level. I can see Awards up to 13 Sep 22. It's been like that for weeks and I've been looking daily.

vhojm

Qantas - Qantas Frequent Flyer

Member since 25 Oct 2019

Total posts 29

I think this is mostly to do with you being silver unfortunately. I don't know where you are looking to go but for a dummy booking from Melbourne to Los Angeles theres plenty availability in September in Economy and Business.

uhp7

Member since 10 Nov 2017

Total posts 5

We flying BNE to MCO, usually via LAX. Good to see you can see availability to LAX via Melbourne. Gives me a little hope.

uhp7

Member since 10 Nov 2017

Total posts 5

I can see Lots of BNE and MEL to LAX flights as well, problem appears to be when I make it to MCO Orlando there are much less visible, onky to 13 Sep at this stage. Maybe has something to do with partner airlines in the US. Typically AA or United connection.

vhojm

Qantas - Qantas Frequent Flyer

Member since 25 Oct 2019

Total posts 29

Originally Posted by uhp7

I can see Lots of BNE and MEL to LAX flights as well, problem appears to be when I make it to MCO Orlando there are much less visible, onky to 13 Sep at this stage. Maybe has something to do with partner airlines in the US. Typically AA or United connection.


This isn't a Qantas problem , there is no AA award space to Orlando. At best you'll go via Charlotte if you book an award ticket.

uhp7

Member since 10 Nov 2017

Total posts 5

Yes I assume so regarding AA. There is award availability to Orlando on Qantas's site up to 13 Sep 22 usin AA or United but not sure why its blank after that for the domestic US leg. No options even via another city, just nothing. Maybe that is normal for Sep Oct, but I'm just a newbie so I don't know :D

vhojm

Qantas - Qantas Frequent Flyer

Member since 25 Oct 2019

Total posts 29

Originally Posted by uhp7

Yes I assume so regarding AA. There is award availability to Orlando on Qantas's site up to 13 Sep 22 usin AA or United but not sure why its blank after that for the domestic US leg. No options even via another city, just nothing. Maybe that is normal for Sep Oct, but I'm just a newbie so I don't know :D

This is because American only puts tickets on sale 331 days before departure whereas qantas is 353. you have to wait three weeks longer for AA/UA/DL

Hi Guest, join in the discussion on Newbie question on Qantas Classic Flight Reward availability during school holidays

Attach Files