COVID-19 vaccine - paid options

83 replies

Neon

Member since 31 Jul 2018

Total posts 17

Originally Posted by Greg E

Originally Posted by Neon

I’m going the freebie option this afternoon 😁

At first I thought lucky you but then realised you would be getting it because you are in a high risk category.

All good Greg. I consider myself lucky to now have had the Pfizer Vaccine. I still need to wait for the 2nd dose in another 18 days time and then the seven days for the required response to take place. I do feel it is a huge step in the right direction. As the data continues to build it appears we are finally beginning to get on top of this situation. I am very confident that it will be sooner rather than later when we will be able to travel internationally again. My hope is that everyone will be just that bit more patient and we will get there.

Phil O'Paistree

Member since 10 Dec 2018

Total posts 3

Originally Posted by Greg E

Originally Posted by Phil O'Paistree

Originally Posted by j13

I received the Moderna vaccine in the US last year and applied to the Australian government for reduced/home quarantine or no quarantine. My application was rejected and their response was, there will be no changes to hotel quarantine unless the vaccine is proven to prevent asymptomatic cases. Initial data suggest Moderna vaccine reduced asymptomatic cases by 62% after first injection. Moderna are doing further studies to determine asymptomatic reductions after second injection. The $64 question is does the Australian government want 100% reduction. If so, it is highly likely any vaccine will give that result. Are we chasing the impossible dream - elimination.

“... does the Australian government want 100% reduction. If so, it is highly LIKELY any vaccine will give that result ...”


Can we assume that’s poor proof reading?

I can't believe you even asked the question. The Australian Government has been 100% clear that quarantine free international travel would not occur until there is something approaching herd immunity in Australia and in destination countries. There has been some speculation within government that it could reopen any time from late October 2021 to sometime in 2022. In a pandemic, it's not about the health and immunity of the individual, it's about the immunity of the broader population. At the moment, 99.9% of the Australian population are not immune.

“I can’t believe” ... you didn’t read the original text properly and spot the missing “un” before “likely” ... before you put your boxing gloves on. I even capitalised the original mistake for you. Read on for ‘j13’s’ confirmation.

Phil O'Paistree

Member since 10 Dec 2018

Total posts 3

Originally Posted by j13

Yes, it was supposed to say. 'If so it is highly unlikely any vaccine will give that result.'

Ta for that ‘j13’ ... ‘Greg E’ appears to be having a jump to conclusions ‘kinda’ day.

Greg E

Member since 26 Sep 2020

Total posts 19

Originally Posted by Phil O'Paistree

Originally Posted by Greg E

Originally Posted by Phil O'Paistree

Originally Posted by j13

I received the Moderna vaccine in the US last year and applied to the Australian government for reduced/home quarantine or no quarantine. My application was rejected and their response was, there will be no changes to hotel quarantine unless the vaccine is proven to prevent asymptomatic cases. Initial data suggest Moderna vaccine reduced asymptomatic cases by 62% after first injection. Moderna are doing further studies to determine asymptomatic reductions after second injection. The $64 question is does the Australian government want 100% reduction. If so, it is highly likely any vaccine will give that result. Are we chasing the impossible dream - elimination.

“... does the Australian government want 100% reduction. If so, it is highly LIKELY any vaccine will give that result ...”


Can we assume that’s poor proof reading?

I can't believe you even asked the question. The Australian Government has been 100% clear that quarantine free international travel would not occur until there is something approaching herd immunity in Australia and in destination countries. There has been some speculation within government that it could reopen any time from late October 2021 to sometime in 2022. In a pandemic, it's not about the health and immunity of the individual, it's about the immunity of the broader population. At the moment, 99.9% of the Australian population are not immune.

“I can’t believe” ... you didn’t read the original text properly and spot the missing “un” before “likely” ... before you put your boxing gloves on. I even capitalised the original mistake for you. Read on for ‘j13’s’ confirmation.

I read and understood the clarification you made. My comment still stands, being why would anyone ask the government for exception from quarantine now when the government and the science has been very clear that it won't happen anytime soon.

Flying mermaid

Qf

Member since 26 Apr 2015

Total posts 6

Originally Posted by Neon

Originally Posted by Greg E

Originally Posted by Neon

I’m going the freebie option this afternoon 😁

At first I thought lucky you but then realised you would be getting it because you are in a high risk category.

All good Greg. I consider myself lucky to now have had the Pfizer Vaccine. I still need to wait for the 2nd dose in another 18 days time and then the seven days for the required response to take place. I do feel it is a huge step in the right direction. As the data continues to build it appears we are finally beginning to get on top of this situation. I am very confident that it will be sooner rather than later when we will be able to travel internationally again. My hope is that everyone will be just that bit more patient and we will get there.

My daughter recently had her second Pfizer jab, so just be aware you might get quite bad muscle pain the day after, but it only seems to last a day.

GoRobin

Member since 07 May 2020

Total posts 70

Did anybody ever ask the government what herd immunity is and more importantly what criteria they will use to determine that it has been achieved so they can abandon incoming quarantine.

Greg E

Member since 26 Sep 2020

Total posts 19

Originally Posted by GoRobin

Did anybody ever ask the government what herd immunity is and more importantly what criteria they will use to determine that it has been achieved so they can abandon incoming quarantine.

Yes, the government answers that question often.

GoRobin

Member since 07 May 2020

Total posts 70

Greg E...I must have missed something. Perhaps you could share the plan with us. Or is it the case of "we will go on the health advice" at the time." That is probably what I assume that you are eluding to?

Greg E

Member since 26 Sep 2020

Total posts 19

Originally Posted by GoRobin

Greg E...I must have missed something. Perhaps you could share the plan with us. Or is it the case of "we will go on the health advice" at the time." That is probably what I assume that you are eluding to?

The government has been very transparent about the whole thing which is a refreshing change. Assuming the reason for your question is the reopening of International travel, there are far too many variables to deal with for the government to be specific about the parameters they will use. They require a degree of Herd Immunity whereby the level of vaccination is such that an infected person will infect on average less than one person. The problem is that no one really knows what degree of protection the vaccines give to transmitting the disease to others. It's not what they were designed for. Then you have the question of level of infections in destination countries. It would be highly irresponsible for a government to guess the parameters or a date ahead of time as it would hit a fragile economy unnecessarily.

Hi Guest, join in the discussion on COVID-19 vaccine - paid options

Attach Files