5 replies


Member since 30 Jun 2020

Total posts 1

I am an Australian Citizen, but non resident been outisde Aust for 90% of my time for last 5 years. I am in Aus. I applied to Home Affairs and "I am on TV Border Farce" for an exemption to leave Aus just to be certain I don't have problems at the airport or loose my flight beecasue I have not filled in a form or something. I lodged it June 5, today is June 30 nothing from them. I called Home affairs and after going round and round eventually got to talk with someone. They told me there is no contact point, no email I can send to ask status, no email where I can add further information. Does anybody know how to contact.. follow up with this people???


Virgin Australia - Velocity Rewards

Member since 05 Sep 2013

Total posts 77

There is no specific contact point for "Australian citizen who wish to leave Australia" after applying for a waiver to leave, besides the contact details on the application.

You can only use the "General Contacts" for the "Department of Home Affairs":

By Phone:

> Phone Number from within Australia: 131 881 (for Department of Home Affairs: Immigration General Enquiries Line) or 133 177 (for Department of Home Affairs: Compliments, Complaints and Suggestions).

Open Monday to Friday from 9am to 5pm (excluding Australian National Public holidays)

Text Telephone & Speech to Speech Relay Support


Telephone guidance is a supplement to the guidance that can be found on our website.

You can call the Department of Home Affairs for:

> General questions

> Problems with your application

What the Department of Home Affairs can't help you with:

> Migration advice

> Eligibility advice

> Status of your application, if the general processing time has not yet expired

> Updating contact details

Alternatively there is:


See Department of Home Affairs website down the bottom “Contact Us” and follow the prompts.

Social Media:

Twitter & Facebook

By Post:

Department of Home Affairs,

GPO Box 241,

Melbourne VIC 3001,



Contact the Minister:

See their personal website or department website for various contact options.

> The Hon Peter Dutton MP (i.e. the Minister for Home Affairs)

> The Hon David Coleman MP (i.e. the Minister for Immigration, Citizenship, Migrant Services and Multicultural Affairs)

> The Hon Jason Wood MP (i.e. the Assistant Minister for Customs, Community Safety and Multicultural Affairs)

> Your Local Member for Parliament.

Finally check the Department of Home Affairs Leaving Australia Page as it has been updated with more information every few days.

Last editedby planesa380 at Jun 30, 2020, 08:18 PM.


Qantas - Qantas Frequent Flyer

Member since 19 Mar 2015

Total posts 18

If you are normally a resident of another country you are exempt. You don't need to apply for an exemption.


Qantas - Qantas Frequent Flyer

Member since 13 Jul 2012

Total posts 154

Exemption conditions from Covid19.homeaffairs.gov.au page:

You are considered ordinarily resident in a country other than Australia if international movement records show that you've spent more time outside Australia than inside for the last 12 to 24 months. You do not need to carry a paper record of your movements with you. If required, Australian Border Force officers at airports can check your movement records in Departmental systems.

Last editedby dimi at Jul 02, 2020, 07:58 AM.


Member since 07 May 2020

Total posts 113

12 to 24 months? Which one is it? Very sloppy regulation yet again by the Australian government. How long is a piece of string?

Michael R

Member since 25 Jun 2020

Total posts 2

Great ABC Radio discussion of the crazy travel ban.


Hi Guest, join in the discussion on Border Farce...

Attach Files