Qantas has cancelled all international flights through to October 24 2020, with the exception of services to New Zealand.
The airline is in the process of advising travel agents as well as passengers booked on affected flights, with the changes soon expected to flow through to the Qantas website.
October 24 marks the cut-over to the Northern Winter 2020 airline schedule period as defined by the International Air Transport Association.
"With Australia's borders set to remain closed for some time, we have cancelled most international flights until late October," a Qantas spokesperson said in a media statement.
"We still have some flights scheduled across the Tasman in the coming months, with the expected travel bubble between Australia and New Zealand."
New Zealand is expected to be the first country to open its borders to Australian travellers without the need for them to undergo a 14-day quarantine period at either end of the journey, under a program being developed by the joint Trans-Tasman Safe Border Group comprised of government agencies, health experts, airports, Qantas and Air New Zealand.
"Should travel between Australia and other countries open up and demand returns, we can add more flights back into our schedule," the airline said.
Earlier today, Federal Tourism Minister Simon Birmingham said that "open tourist-related travel in or out of Australia... remains quite some distance off", and agreed that – with the exception of some countries international travel would likely remain prohibited until 2021.
Passengers on flights cancelled by Qantas are entitled to a full refund or can have their booking turned into travel credit, which can used through to December 21, 2022, and also split across multiple bookings instead of being restricted to a single booking.
This could, for example, allow the travel credit for one international flight to be used for several domestic flights.
As previously reported, Qantas expects its entire flagship Airbus A380 fleet to be grounded "for some time" and is now conducting a sweeping review of its entire international fleet to reshape the airline around a prolonged downturn in post-coronavirus international travel.
Although all 12 A380s will remain in hibernation, the six superjumbos which have yet to be upgraded with the latest business class seats and inflight lounges are tipped to be sent to California's Mojave Desert 'boneyard' for long-term storage.
"There is a potential to bring all 12 (A380s) back (into service), but there is a potential to bring less than 12 back," Qantas Group CEO Alan Joyce told Executive Traveller on May 5, when he announced the review.
"That will depend on what the recovery scenario looks like.... we don’t know when the big markets like the US and the UK, which use the A380s, will open, and when,” Joyce added.
But Joyce was certain that "the Qantas of 2021 and 2022 will not be the Qantas of 2019."
Read more: Qantas to mothball its flagship Airbus A380s