What’s on the latest menu at the Qantas first class lounge”? It’s a surprisingly common question of top-tier frequent flyers who begin their journey from the Qantas International First Lounges at Sydney and Melbourne.
And with Qantas reopening both of those lounges – on November 1 for Sydney, and November 27 for Melbourne – there’s a new menu for pre-flight dining.
It’s decidedly different to the menus of pre-pandemic days, because for at least the next few months, the Qantas International Business lounges will remain closed.
This means the Qantas first class lounges will welcome everyone who’d usually head for the business lounge, including:
- Qantas business class travellers
- Platinum One, Platinum and Gold-tier Qantas frequent flyers
- Qantas Club members
- business class travellers on Oneworld and partner airlines (such as Qatar Airways and Emirates)
- Oneworld Emerald and Sapphire frequent flyers
- Emirates Skywards Platinum and Gold frequent flyers
"But what about those free lounge passes?", you ask. A Qantas spokesperson tells Executive Traveller that while the airline intends to accept complimentary lounge invitations (including the special First Lounge Invitations given to Platinum One members to share with family and friends), "this won't be in place for the initial international flights while we review capacity."
A pared-back ‘premium lounge’ menu
Reflecting this short-term shift away from being an exclusive haven for first class passengers and Platinum-grade frequent flyers, the latest menus of the Qantas First Lounges at Sydney and Melbourne have been temporarily recast to suit these being less of a purely first class lounge and more of a ‘premium lounge’.
We say this by way of setting expectations for these menus, which for obvious reasons have been noticeably pared back while the business class lounges remain closed. (And before you ask: yes, the First Lounge’s pampering day spa also remains closed for now.)
Executive Traveller understands the menus will still change slightly as the months roll on, reflecting the seasonal availability of different produce.
As you’d expect, the menus retain some Qantas First Lounge favourites such as the iconic salt and pepper calamari and the very Instagramable 'pavlova in a glass’.
And while the first weeks Qantas flights from Sydney and Melbourne will see only afternoon and evening departures, the airline has also prepared a breakfast menu in readiness for when morning flights take off.
We’ve listed the full Breakfast and All-Day Dining menus (as at November 2021) below, as well as providing a link to download each menu as a PDF.
Qantas Sydney, Melbourne International First Lounge Breakfast menu
- Seasonal fruit salad
- House made muffin
- Neil’s healthy Bircher muesli with apple, cranberry and hazelnuts
- Buttermilk pancakes with fresh blueberries, baked rhubarb, toasted pecans and maple syrup Watercress, kale and goat’s feta salad with a poached egg, avocado, spring peas and lemon (GF) Brioche, leg ham and Gruyere toasted sandwich
- Scrambled eggs with bacon, pork chipolata, spinach, tomato braised beans
Click here to download the Qantas International First Lounge Breakfast menu
Qantas Sydney, Melbourne International First Lounge All-Day Dining menu
- Brioche, leg ham and Gruyere toasted sandwich, rocket and lemon
- Salt and pepper squid with cabbage salad, green chilli dipping sauce and aioli
- Spicy coconut braised pumpkin and green beans with Thai basil and rice noodles (GF, VG) Paprika and garlic chicken with chickpeas, roast red capsicum, sherry vinegar and rice pilaf (GF) Neil’s lasagne with shaved fennel, lemon and parsley salad
- Bowl of chips
- Mixed leaves with Neil’s vinaigrette
- Signature pavlova with seasonal fruit, mascarpone and Persian fairy floss
- Seppelt The Drives Chardonnay Pinot Noir, NV
- Vasse Felix Classic Dry White Semillon Sauvignon Blanc, 2019
- Rosemount Little Berry Pinot Grigio, 2019
- Levantine Hill Coldstream Guard Chardonnay, 2018
- Wolf Blass Makers Project Pinot Noir, 2019
- Wynns Cabernet Shiraz Merlot, 2017
- Lindeman’s Gentleman’s Collection Shiraz, 2019
Executive Traveller understands that Champagne will be 'available on request'.
Click here to download the Qantas International First Lounge All-Day Dining menu