Up to 200,000 Bonus Amplify Rewards Points - St.George Amplify Signature
Over 2 years when you spend $12k on eligible purchases each year.* Plus reduced first year annual card fee $179 (usually $279). New Amplify Signature cards only. Click here to apply.
Qantas will open up easier connections to Canada through a new alliance with WestJet starting on October 15.
Travellers on the Red Roo’s flights to Los Angeles will be able to continue their journey to Vancouver, Calgary and Edmonton with WestJet, on top of the existing codeshares with Alaska Airlines and American Airlines to Vancouver and Toronto.
An additional WestJet connection will also run between Honolulu and Vancouver.
From those key Canuck cities, WestJet offers 20 one-stop flights to other cities across the country including Toronto, Montreal, Ottawa, Winnipeg and Halifax.
Also part of the deal: Qantas travellers will be able to earn frequent flyer points and status credits on the codeshare WestJet flights carrying a QF flight number.
Here’s the new shape of Qantas' Canadian network:
Qantas Executive Manager International Sales Stephen Thompson said that the new codeshares deliver on the airline's “gateway strategy of operating to key global hubs and providing customers with access to an expanded network with airline partners based in those ports.”
“With the premium experience offered on Qantas flights to the US, connecting to WestJet’s wide network and young fleet, we are confident our customers will enjoy their journey right through to their destination in Canada,” he added.
Breaking it down, the following codeshare flights operated by WestJet, connecting to and from Qantas’ Los Angeles and Honolulu flights can be booked from October 1 2014 for travel from October 15, subject to government approval.
- Los Angeles (LAX) / Vancouver (YVR)
- Los Angeles (LAX) / Calgary (YYC)
- Los Angeles (LAX) / Edmonton (YEG)
- Honolulu (HNL) / Vancouver (YVR)
- Calgary (YYC) / Toronto (YTO)
- Calgary (YYC) / Montreal (YMQ)
- Calgary (YYC) / Ottawa (YOW)
- Calgary (YYC) / Kelowna (YLW)
- Calgary (YYC) / Winnipeg (YWG)
- Calgary (YYC) / Victoria (YYJ)
- Calgary (YYC) / Saskatoon (YXE)
- Calgary (YYC) / Regina (YQR)
- Calgary (YYC) / Halifax (YHZ)
- Calgary (YYC) / Vancouver (YVR)
- Vancouver (YVR) / Toronto (YTO)
- Vancouver (YVR) / Kelowna (YLW)
- Vancouver (YVR) / Edmonton (YEA)
- Vancouver (YVR) / Ottawa (YOW)
- Vancouver (YVR) / Saskatoon (YXE)
- Vancouver (YVR) / Regina (YQR)
- Vancouver (YVR) / Winnipeg (YWG)
- Edmonton (YEG) / Winnipeg (YWG)
- Toronto (YTO) / Ottawa (YOW)
- Toronto (YTO) / Montreal (YMQ)
The codeshare partnership with WestJet comes as the airline plans to increase flights from Australia to Los Angeles, and follows a recent tie-up with China Airlines on flights from Sydney and Brisbane to Taipei, along with a bolstered codeshare network with Oneworld partner LAN Airlines across South America.
Follow Australian Business Traveller on Twitter: we're @AusBT