Quarantine Rules for arriving in Perth

5 replies

521303

Member since 03 Jan 2012

Total posts 60

Hoping for some clarity, I've been out of Australia for nearly a year but I'm looking to return for family visit in August. I'm am Aussie citizen and want to visit Perth. If quarentine is required, would I be allowed to do this at a private house (my daughters) or would the Authorities force me into some ridiculous hotel for two weeks? Any ideas out there? FYI, I'll be flying from Seattle with Emirates via Dubai to arrive in Perth (possibly the other way with Cathay via HK if that route opens).

Lost_in_SIN

Qantas - Qantas Frequent Flyer

Member since 20 May 2016

Total posts 32

At this stage:

  • Overseas arrivals: People entering WA from overseas will be directed to mandatory self quarantine in accommodation provided by the WA government, and given information on mandatory self-quarantine

A lot can possibly change between now and August but if I had to guess I would expect mandatory quarantine to still be a requirement for international arrivals in August.

Useful link: https://healthywa.wa.gov.au/en/Articles/A_E/Coronavirus

dm12

Member since 08 Feb 2018

Total posts 102

Sibelius

Virgin Australia - Velocity Rewards

Member since 06 Aug 2017

Total posts 98

Originally Posted by 521303

Hoping for some clarity, I've been out of Australia for nearly a year but I'm looking to return for family visit in August. I'm am Aussie citizen and want to visit Perth. If quarentine is required, would I be allowed to do this at a private house (my daughters) or would the Authorities force me into some ridiculous hotel for two weeks? Any ideas out there? FYI, I'll be flying from Seattle with Emirates via Dubai to arrive in Perth (possibly the other way with Cathay via HK if that route opens).

You seem to think that the "Authorities'" requirement is "ridiculous" but really they're the wrong people to get angry with in this case. The problem was that, when returning travellers had the choice of where they spent their quarantine, only about 85% of them were complying. The other 15% were breaking quarantine and in a large number of those cases they were spreading COVID-19 into the Australian community.

Don't blame the government, who I'm sure would rather be spending the money on something else. Blame the 15% of travellers who didn't think they needed to self-isolate.


patrickk

Qantas

Member since 19 Apr 2012

Total posts 502

By August you may have to pay for the two weeks hotel quarantine so factor that in as well.

GregXL

Qantas - Qantas Frequent Flyer

Member since 26 May 2014

Total posts 301

Originally Posted by Sibelius

Originally Posted by 521303

Hoping for some clarity, I've been out of Australia for nearly a year but I'm looking to return for family visit in August. I'm am Aussie citizen and want to visit Perth. If quarentine is required, would I be allowed to do this at a private house (my daughters) or would the Authorities force me into some ridiculous hotel for two weeks? Any ideas out there? FYI, I'll be flying from Seattle with Emirates via Dubai to arrive in Perth (possibly the other way with Cathay via HK if that route opens).

You seem to think that the "Authorities'" requirement is "ridiculous" but really they're the wrong people to get angry with in this case. The problem was that, when returning travellers had the choice of where they spent their quarantine, only about 85% of them were complying. The other 15% were breaking quarantine and in a large number of those cases they were spreading COVID-19 into the Australian community.

Don't blame the government, who I'm sure would rather be spending the money on something else. Blame the 15% of travellers who didn't think they needed to self-isolate.


Agreed (@Sibelius), WA has close to zero (if not zero) community cases of Covid-19, while there are 20 or so cases among those in mandatory quarantine. While most would like to return to the freedoms of last year, it wont be happening while quarantine is proving to keep the virus out of the community.

Hi Guest, join in the discussion on Quarantine Rules for arriving in Perth

Attach Files