Qantas, Virgin Australia and Jetstar passengers can take advantage of the airlines' refund and rebooking arrangements for flight cancellations and travel plans disrupted by the Chilean volcano ash cloud.
As a general rule: if you bought your ticket before the cloud and your flight is disrupted, you can swap your ticket to a future flight, seek a refund or settle for an airline credit.
Here's a summary of the rules in place with Qantas, Virgin Australia and Jetstar for refund and rebookings due to the impact of the ash cloud as it continues to drift over Australia and New Zealand.
Passengers may, without fee:
- Re-route travel to final destination via the most direct routing using Qantas.
- Apply for a refunds on tickets issued on/before 22 June 2011 for original ticketed travel dates up to and including 27 June 2011.
- Retain the value of the ticket in credit for future travel within 12 months from the original ticketed date of departure. If the new fare is more expensive than the existing ticketed fare, the fare difference is payable by the passenger. Applicable ticket taxes may apply.
- Change to an alternate destination. The value of the existing ticket can be used towards the purchase of a new ticket. If the new fare is more expensive than the existing ticket fare, the fare difference is payable by the passenger. Applicable taxes may apply.Defer travel as per the conditions outlined below
- Changes permitted to tickets issued on/before 22 June 2011 for travel on/before 27 June 2011.
- New travel dates must be within ticket validity.
- If the same booking class is not available, the lowest booking class within the same cabin may be booked (e.g. Business or Economy).
- Any third party costs/penalties, such as hotel or other ground operator fees incurred will not be waived by Qantas.
- All other rules and conditions of the ticket remain unchanged.
- This policy also applies to customers who are booked on Codeshare flights operated by Qantas.
Passengers travelling on Qantas and Qantas codeshare operated by Jetstar redemption tickets are entitled to the same options and conditions as listed above.
Note: Passengers on partner airline services are able to re-book or re-route subject to redemption seat availability only.
- Refunds are available on tickets issued on/before 22 June 2011 for original ticketed travel dates up to and including 27 June 2011.
- This excludes penalties imposed by suppliers or third parties.
- To request a refund, return your ticket to the original point of purchase prior to 1 July 2011. Other than above normal refund policies apply.
- Qantas website
- From Australia (Freecall): 13 12 23
- From New Zealand (freecall): 0800 808 767
- (From Auckland area: +64 9 357 8900
Passengers may, without incurring a fee:
- Change your flight to another available service for travel no later than 31 August 2011.
- Cancel your flight (irrespective of fare type) to obtain a full credit valid for 12 months, internet discount will be honoured when re-booking.
- Virgin Australia website
- From Australia (Freecall): 13 67 89
- From New Zealand (Freecall): 0800 67 0000
- Internationally: +61 7 3295 2296
- Defer travel: Customers may defer their travel. Travel must be completed by 31 August 2011.
- Re-routing to get passengers to their end destination. Travel must be completed by 31 August 2011.
- Full refund or voucher to the value of the booking.
- Jetstar website
- From Australia (Freecall): 131 538
- From New Zealand (Freecall): 0800 800 995
- From Singapore (Freecall): 800 6161 977
- Internationally: +61 3 9347 0091