Virgin Australia complimentary drink policy change

11 replies

pav029

Qantas - Qantas Frequent Flyer

Member since 26 Oct 2018

Total posts 1

I recently flew from Perth-Melbourne on Virgin economy (was slightly cheaper than Qantas) and was surprised when I asked for a second glass of red wine that only the first glass was now complimentary. Checking the virgin website confirms “a complimentary drink” rather than “complimentary drinks” the flight attendant said this had been in operation for a couple of months and includes happy hour on the east coast as well.

And on top of this wine is significantly more expensive ($10 or $14) than non Complimentary Qantas flights ($6). All qantas trans-continental flights have complimentary beer and wine after midday.

This seems to be another unnecessary Scurrah cost cutting measure where the amount of cost saved versus the risk of an overall revenue loss even if only a small percentage of frequent flyers switch their business to Qantas. (Business class in flight menu changes spring to mind)

I understand they need to cut costs out of their business but I would think there are bigger fish to fry than this in the overall cost base that would not risk alienating passengers - which are their biggest source of revenue.

Virgin are still priced almost at par with qantas (difference was $40 a ticket) but are moving back to a budget airline service.

As a gold FF with both I used to view both airlines as equal service wise but I am going to go back to solely Qantas as I am not really interested in paying current Virgin prices for what is essentially a Jetstar service with bags included.


Lmc

Qantas - Qantas Frequent Flyer

Member since 09 Nov 2018

Total posts 20

Yeah really not sold on the value proposition of Virgin, if is exactly a jetstar bob service, seat and a bag.

All for the same price as QF!

hakkinen5

Qantas - Qantas Frequent Flyer

Member since 20 Aug 2014

Total posts 126

That is dull. And I agree, probably cutting in the wrong place.

Madhatter49

Virgin Australia - Velocity Rewards

Member since 11 Dec 2016

Total posts 61

VA are generally substantially cheaper and better for biz class flights domestically than Qantas.

Overall Virgin has a much better value for money service than qf I find.

Dan22

Qantas - Qantas Frequent Flyer

Member since 07 Aug 2013

Total posts 67

Talking value for money I curiously looked at some dummy flights. Virgin was consistently approx $100 less then QF, but around $60-$80 more expensive the Jetstar. Virgin you get entertainment and baggage and meal and (1 drink now!). If you add those costs for Jetstar basic fares probably works out same price. If you can justify multiple glasses for economy wine for $100 or so to fly QF..and you would likely be cut off service after a 3-4 should you want to try and get your moneies worth that is. For 1 pax it might not be much of a cost. For family of 4 etc that would represent a considerable amount of savings between VA and QF with much of a muchness for multiple alcoholic drinks.

Ive always been a big fan of virgin and fly mix of economy and business. Id be cheesed if I had to buy my drinks but then id relax a bit knowing I paid less then what I would have with Qantas. On another note I like the improved meals service now on Virgin where they have done away with a tray and have decent sized box meal similar to QF economy.

elchriss0

Virgin Australia - Velocity Rewards

Member since 13 Jan 2015

Total posts 77

Originally Posted by Dan22

Talking value for money I curiously looked at some dummy flights. Virgin was consistently approx $100 less then QF, but around $60-$80 more expensive the Jetstar. Virgin you get entertainment and baggage and meal and (1 drink now!). If you add those costs for Jetstar basic fares probably works out same price. If you can justify multiple glasses for economy wine for $100 or so to fly QF..and you would likely be cut off service after a 3-4 should you want to try and get your moneies worth that is. For 1 pax it might not be much of a cost. For family of 4 etc that would represent a considerable amount of savings between VA and QF with much of a muchness for multiple alcoholic drinks.

Ive always been a big fan of virgin and fly mix of economy and business. Id be cheesed if I had to buy my drinks but then id relax a bit knowing I paid less then what I would have with Qantas. On another note I like the improved meals service now on Virgin where they have done away with a tray and have decent sized box meal similar to QF economy.

Is the actual food now similar to what QF serve in their boxes? or do you mean it's similar in that it's served in a box?

Last editedby Chris Chamberlin at Jan 08, 2020, 12:14 PM.

Lchen3328

Member since 08 Nov 2015

Total posts 16

Flew VA domestic J recently & quite disappointed with this stingy cost cutting:

- no more Samsung tablet

- banana bread for morning tea

- sandwiches for kids? you have to pay!

Dan22

Qantas - Qantas Frequent Flyer

Member since 07 Aug 2013

Total posts 67

I myself had a 3 course plated meal from Mel to Perth evening last week on Virgin. Did enjoy not having to grab my own desert with fingers off a tray - has Qantas stopped this now?

BJ01

Virgin Australia - Velocity Rewards

Member since 07 Dec 2015

Total posts 54

I am typically a fan of Virgin but I travelled CNS-BNE last week with VA in Business Class and the meal they served up was terrible - overcooked and dry lamb pide - it bordered on uneatable. Prior to this, I'd never had a bad meal on VA in J. Hopefully not a sign of things to come?

Cl_flyer

Member since 30 Aug 2018

Total posts 1

Originally Posted by Madhatter49

VA are generally substantially cheaper and better for biz class flights domestically than Qantas.

Overall Virgin has a much better value for money service than qf I find.

Indeed I agree.

I am a plat on VA and gold with QF and the price difference both domestically and internationally are drastic.

To complain about a drink or two on a 3 hours trans-con flight is quite interesting.


djtech

Qantas - Qantas Frequent Flyer

Member since 02 Sep 2018

Total posts 335

Originally Posted by BJ01

I am typically a fan of Virgin but I travelled CNS-BNE last week with VA in Business Class and the meal they served up was terrible - overcooked and dry lamb pide - it bordered on uneatable. Prior to this, I'd never had a bad meal on VA in J. Hopefully not a sign of things to come?

To my knowledge catering is the same as always. It's just some cost cutting so you can't get everything on the buy on board menu. Though I agree, the Buy On Board menu and recent cuts would've rubbed some people the wrong way and make it more of a Jetstar + experience than a truly premium airline.

adamkps

Qantas - Qantas Frequent Flyer

Member since 22 May 2015

Total posts 3

Flew HBA-SYD J in December was was appalled at the tasteless chicken sandwiches served....unless VA improve J class catering I'll be back to QF.

Hi Guest, join in the discussion on Virgin Australia complimentary drink policy change

Attach Files